[cups] Do I need splix for HP's newer SPL-based printers?

Fejes József jozsef.fejes at gmail.com
Tue May 26 00:30:11 PDT 2020

Hello,

I'd like to buy a wireless printer and use it with Cups.

I'm planning to buy one of HP's latest devices, like 107w or 178nw.
The specifications of these only mention SPL as the page description
language (unlike higher end HP printers, like M404dw, that list PCL,
PDF, PWG, etc.). That tells me I would need the splix driver.

But these newest printers are also Mopria and AirPrint certified,
which means they must support PDF/PWG/PCLm and URF. That tells me I
could just send a raw PDF and it should just work. (If my phone can do
it without fancy drivers, so should Cups, I figure.)

Is it true that Mopria/AirPrint devices really must support these
well-documented formats so I don't need those proprietary
formats/drivers? Why wouldn't a manufacturer list these formats as
their PDL then?

Best regards,
Jo