[cups] Printing 2 copies on a double sided printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Oct 1 03:43:55 PDT 2020

Hello

On 2020-10-01 11:14, Gene Heskett wrote (excerpt):
> On Thursday 01 October 2020 03:59:06 Johannes Meixner wrote (excerpts):
>>
>> # lp -d queue file_to_print file_to_print file_to_print
>>
>> (one print job with the content file as many times as number of copies
>>   which I consider as the most reliably way how one could get the same
>>   content printed multiple times for the price of more needed
>>   resources cf. RFC 1925 item 7a)
>>
>> versus
>>
>> # lp -d queue file_to_print
>> # lp -d queue file_to_print
>> # lp -d queue file_to_print
>>
>> (as many separated print jobs as as number of copies where it can
>>   happen that other user's print jobs get in between so that the jobs
>>   from the other users appear in between in the whole printout plus
>>   maximum needed resources how to get the same content printed
>> multiple
>>   times)
> You wind up throwing it all away,
> and sending the same job 3 times to get 3 copy's...

Basically that's it what I would suggest to keep oneself
out of getting trapped within inexplicable complications.

Of course that workaround is primarily meant for what are
"in practice single user" environments i.e. where a printer
is usually used only by a single user at a time (which includes
e.g. usual office use cases where users on client workstations
use a particular printer only every now and then so in practice
possibly conflicting printing tasks at the same time happen rarely).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg - Germany