[cups] Guidance on troubleshooting printing to USB-connected brother laser printer

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 07:25:12 PDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 1:03 AM Banibrata Dutta <banibrata.dutta at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 10:28 PM Brian Potkin <claremont102 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue 29 Sep 2020 at 21:55:50 +0530, Banibrata Dutta wrote:
>>
>> > Done. The PPD is called  /etc/cups/ppd/Brother-HL-L2320D-series.ppd.
>> > The out.ps looks fine. Also it confirms what I was hoping to be true,
>> i.e.
>> > the out.ps all pages are same size, some of the odd-sized (squarish)
>> pages
>> > have been trimmed down widthwise to fit into the A4 sized frame, but
>> > barring that, it looks like something close to the PDF.
>>
>> Hello Banibrata,
>>
>> Thank you for pursuing the line of investigation I suggested. However,
>> you appear to have resolved your issue:
>>
>>   https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2451113
>>

> Thanks. This forum has been very helpful and reactive so far (as was the
> Ubuntu Forum). Alas, my celebrations turned out to be premature. I did
> manage to print a test page successfully, and following that decided to end
> my testing for that day there, in the hope that driverless-printing would
> have taken care of my issues. Unfortunately, when I test with the
> problematic 4-page PDF, or several other documents, the erratic nature of
> printing with this printer, from my Ubuntu MATE setup appears to remain,
> almost at same level as before. About 40% documents I fire print for, do
> get printed but roughly 60% dont. Note that for the 40% documents that do
> get printed, the printing is flawless, and no different than quality of
> print I see when fired from Windows 10 PC.
>
> In fact, I am even unable to print the out.ps (as generated based on
> instructions in this thread), from within Evince viewer.
>
> My initial thoughts did turn to IPP-over-USB but I put them to one side
>> because my understanding was that using a vendor driver to print was
>> not possible at all, whereas you were able to print even though printing
>> was degraded.
>>
>> It would be good to confirm that this device is capable of working with
>> the IPP-over-USB protocol. Please give what you get for
>>
>>   lsusb -v | grep -A 3 bInterfaceClass.*7
>>

> Output of above command, follows:

Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
      bInterfaceClass         7 Printer
      bInterfaceSubClass      1 Printer
      bInterfaceProtocol      2 Bidirectional
      iInterface              0
can't get debug descriptor: Resource temporarily unavailable
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing

Does it confirm that this printer supports IPP-over-USB ? The complete of
lsusb -v output, just for this device:

Bus 001 Device 070: ID 04f9:0062 Brother Industries, Ltd HL-L2320D series
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x04f9 Brother Industries, Ltd
  idProduct          0x0062
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 Brother
  iProduct                2 HL-L2320D series
  iSerial                 3 E73793F0N252750
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength       0x0020
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower                2mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         7 Printer
      bInterfaceSubClass      1 Printer
      bInterfaceProtocol      2 Bidirectional
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               1
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0