[cups] Guidance on troubleshooting printing to USB-connected brother laser printer

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 04:41:40 PDT 2020

> Thanks again Brian for the suggestions, got a chance to try them today.
>
> Execute
> >
> >  sudo cupsfilter -p PPD_in_/etc/cups/ppd -m printer/foo -e
> > your4-pagePDF > out.dat 2>log
> >

> Done. Let me know if I should put the output & log file on a pastebin or
> something ?
>
> Check log for errors.
>

> Only INFO and DEBUG lines in it, no ERROR lines, but I do see this:
>
> DEBUG: pdftopdf: Last filter determined by the PPD: rastertobrlaser;
> FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE: application/vnd.cups-raster => pdftopdf will not log
> pages in page_log.
> DEBUG: OUTFORMAT="(null)", so output format will be CUPS/PWG Raster
> DEBUG: PDF interactive form and annotation flattening done via QPDF
> INFO: pdftopdf (PID 128082) exited with no errors.
> DEBUG: Color Manager: Calibration Mode/Off
> DEBUG: Calling FindDeviceById(cups-cupsfilter)
> DEBUG: Failed to send: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.NotFound:device id
> 'cups-cupsfilter' does not exist
> DEBUG: Failed to get find device cups-cupsfilter
> DEBUG: Calling FindDeviceById(cups-cupsfilter)
> DEBUG: Failed to send: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.NotFound:device id
> 'cups-cupsfilter' does not exist
> DEBUG: Failed to get device cups-cupsfilter
> INFO: Color Manager: no profiles specified in PPD
> DEBUG: Color Manager: ICC Profile: None
> DEBUG: Ghostscript using Any-Part-of-Pixel method to fill paths.

No problem there. The problem comes next.

You have very clearly said:

  > I have installed the manufacturer provided drivers.

The first thing I did then was to take a look at the vendor PPD. That is
why I asked you to generate a PostScript file. It has a line in it saying

  > *cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0
brother_lpdwrapper_HLL2320D"

This indicates that the final filter to be run is

  > brother_lpdwrapper_HLL2320D

But you have rastertobrlaser as the final filter.

> > out.dat is a printer-ready file. Send it directly
> > to the printer with
> >
> >  sudo sh -c 'cat out.dat > /dev/usb/lp0'
> >
> > (I would do 'cat out.dat > /dev/usb/lp0' as root, but I think this works
> > with sudo).
> >
> > Does out.dat print?
>
> So this didn't print. The printer "Ready" LED (which is dimly lit to
> indicate waiting), starts flashing bright green (to indicate data /
> commands being received), for about 10-15 seconds, the drum/roller do not
> spin up (whirring sound), and then goes back to dimly lit green.

The printer-ready file is not a printer-ready file. No wonder it doesn't
print.How does rastertobrlaser come into the picture?

--
Brian.