[cups] No destination host name supplied by cups-browsed for printer

Patrick Bégou Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Wed Oct 7 05:54:10 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I have a strange problem on a CentOS7 laptop with cups. I've posted on
CentOS forum but did not get any answer.

Sometime, the lpstat -t command returns "No destination host name
supplied by cups-browsed for printer" and asks if  cups-browsed is
running.  Nonetheless cups-browsed is running and is configured.
Restarting  cups-browsed  does not help so the problem is not related to
cups-browsed .

cups-browsed.conf only contains:

BrowseRemoteProtocols dnssd cups
BrowsePoll most2pc139.legi.grenoble-inp.fr

The solution is to manually restart cups service. However, the user has
no root access on his laptop (it is not allowed in our professional
environment) so the only work-around would be a cron task to restart cups ?

Did someone encounter this behavior and found the solution ? Could it be
related to swiching from Wifi (at home) to wired network (at workplace)?

I have several laptops, all installed with the same kickstart file via
PXE boot and cups running fine. All are DELL computers except this one
which is a HP ZBook.

Thanks for your help.

Patrick