[cups] Guidance on troubleshooting printing to USB-connected brother laser printer

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 04:30:38 PDT 2020

On Thu 08 Oct 2020 at 11:20:17 +0530, Banibrata Dutta wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 5:12 PM Brian Potkin <claremont102 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You have very clearly said:
> >
> >   > I have installed the manufacturer provided drivers.
> >

> Sorry about the confusion I created. I had indeed installed the
> manufacturer provided drivers initially when we started the
> trouble-shooting. Then as you rightly noticed from my interaction on the
> Ubuntu forums, that I "seemed to have solved" (which turned out to be
> premature celebration, as it didn't) the problem by removing manufacturer
> provided driver and instead moved to what I think was the Ubuntu/Debian
> driverless printing setup. After removing manufacturer provided drivers, I
> connected back printer through USB, powered it on, which led to printer
> getting detected and probably these generic drivers getting installed. With
> this my hit-ratio seems to have improved somewhat.e. I can successfully
> print more jobs, but not yet this stubborn 4page scanned (image) PDF.

Ok, got the siuation now.

My interpretation of the 'lsusb -v' output is that this printer does not
understand the IPP-over-USB protocol. Driverless printing with it is not
possible.

You have installed the free printer-driver-brlaser. According to

  https://github.com/pdewacht/brlaser

the Brother HL-L2320D series is supported by this driver. You should read
the open and closed issues and decide whether you wish to raise your own
issue.

An alternative is to delete the existing print queue and set one up with
the non-free Brother drivers.

Cheers,

Brian.