[cups] Printing 2 copies on a double sided printer

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Sep 22 14:51:20 PDT 2020

On Tuesday 22 September 2020 17:04:40 Helge Blischke wrote:

> > Am 22.09.2020 um 20:51 schrieb Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>:
> >

> > My *.ppd's do not contain a ColorDevice: stanza.  How new does my
> > cups have to be? localhost:631 says 2.2.1. I am also running on the
> > official Brother ppd’.
>
> Well, perhaps I should have said "not too far behind
> the line starting with
> *NickName
> or
> *PSVersion
> etc.

Well, given cups record of ignoring the ppd settings, I'd be surprised if
it worked. I have 5 stanza's of gain settings from -20 to +20 for
brightness, contrast and individual color drive, and all are uniformly
ignored.  Xero effect on the quite pastel printout. I think thats been
mentioned, and ignored here in the past.  Its nice from the cost of ink
view, but the printouts are obviously not up to prior Epson standards.
But starting about 15 years back, epson ceased making a printer that
didn't have 20 nozzles plugged forever in 50 prints. They should bring
back the C82, it ran for years, doing beautiful color from only 4 tanks
of archival quality inks. I shot a wedding 20 years back, and made more
than $1000 selling color prints you could not tell from well calibrated
darkroom and chemistry prints. I've done both from my own darkroom, so I
feel qualified to comment. I've even gone so far as to formulate my own
color print developer because none of the commercially sold stuff would
last and make 8 identical prints from a 16oz container of mix.  But my
formula did, many times.

The war to find a decent color printer started when cups removed the
ability to send a clean nozzles command from cups. You (cups) did not do
us any favors with that move. How many of us can dual boot windows just
to clean nozzles? Not an option here, unless using brothers own drivers,
which do that 3 or 4x a day without being told to.

The clean nozzles is still there in the Cups Admin menu, but its logged
as an error, and has been for a decade or more.  Why?