[cups] Guidance on troubleshooting printing to USB-connected brother laser printer

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 12:33:13 PDT 2020

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 10:28 PM Brian Potkin <claremont102 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue 29 Sep 2020 at 21:55:50 +0530, Banibrata Dutta wrote:
>
> > Done. The PPD is called  /etc/cups/ppd/Brother-HL-L2320D-series.ppd.
> > The out.ps looks fine. Also it confirms what I was hoping to be true,
> i.e.
> > the out.ps all pages are same size, some of the odd-sized (squarish)
> pages
> > have been trimmed down widthwise to fit into the A4 sized frame, but
> > barring that, it looks like something close to the PDF.
>
> Hello Banibrata,
>
> Thank you for pursuing the line of investigation I suggested. However,
> you appear to have resolved your issue:
>
>   https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2451113

Thanks. This forum has been very helpful and reactive so far (as was the
Ubuntu Forum). Alas, my celebrations turned out to be premature. I did
manage to print a test page successfully, and following that decided to end
my testing for that day there, in the hope that driverless-printing would
have taken care of my issues. Unfortunately, when I test with the
problematic 4-page PDF, or several other documents, the erratic nature of
printing with this printer, from my Ubuntu MATE setup appears to remain,
almost at same level as before. About 40% documents I fire print for, do
get printed but roughly 60% dont. Note that for the 40% documents that do
get printed, the printing is flawless, and no different than quality of
print I see when fired from Windows 10 PC.

In fact, I am even unable to print the out.ps (as generated based on
instructions in this thread), from within Evince viewer.

My initial thoughts did turn to IPP-over-USB but I put them to one side
> because my understanding was that using a vendor driver to print was
> not possible at all, whereas you were able to print even though printing
> was degraded.
>
> It would be good to confirm that this device is capable of working with
> the IPP-over-USB protocol. Please give what you get for
>
>   lsusb -v | grep -A 3 bInterfaceClass.*7

I will check and get back on this. Currently there is a poweroutage, and my
UPS is unlikely to be able to power the laser printer.