[cups] HP printers

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Thu Feb 4 10:15:52 PST 2021

> Am 04.02.2021 um 17:01 schrieb Elias Pereira <empbilly at gmail.com>:
>
> hello,
>
> I have two HP printers who seem not to have ppd.
>
> - HP LaserJet E52645
> - HP LaserJet Pro MFP M428fdw
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to use another ppd?
>
> --
> Elias Pereira

A quick look at the HP support site(s) revealed that these printers
accept (besides PCL6) PostScript level 3 (including native PDF processing (don’t knowhow)),
and URF.

To fix your problem, I see two possible approaches:

(1)	Start with a generic PostScript PPD and then enhance the PPD
	by adding the PostScript code to support the printer’s features.
	This probably is a tedious effort and probably a lot of trial and error,
	as I assume the HP PostScript interpreter does not completely conform
	with the Adobe specification.

(2)	Tak a suitable system (e.g. a MacBook or the like) and install the printer
	using the system’s preference panel and then, after successful installation
	copy the printer’s PPD from the directory /etc/cups/ppd to your target system.
	You may need to edit some statements, especially the
	*cupsFilter: or *cupsFilter2: statements with respect to
	filter and directory names.

Helge