[cups] A primer on CUPS and printers

Johnnie W Adams jxadams at ualr.edu
Thu Feb 18 06:14:38 PST 2021

Hi, folks,

     I spent the first ten years of my time as a UNIX/Linux admin working
with very large systems that didn't use printers.

     Now I do manage printers, and am finding it much rougher going than i
had expected. I'm right now working on moving CUPS and a couple hundred
printers from a very old version of Linux to a new one. (RHEL 5 to RHEL 7,
and no, it was not my idea to let that old RHEL 5 machine live this long.)
I get the pieces, but I don't yet have an overview of what I'm doing.

     Can someone recommend a primer or a reading path through the CUPS
documentation?

Thanks,

     John A

--
John Adams
Linux/Middleware Administrator  | Information Technology Services

Reminder:  IT Services will never ask for your password over the phone or
in an email. Always be suspicious of requests for personal information that
come via email, even from known contacts.  For more information or to
report suspicious email, visit IT Security
<http://ualr.edu/itservices/security/>.