[cups] Still conceptually possible to use SCSI backend in latest CUPS?

Protea Wines Japan aikishugyo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 09:20:06 PST 2021

Hello,
I run Debian unstable on a 64-bit system, and have an Adaptec AHA-2940
SCSI card I want to do some testing with in conjunction with some old
but reiable SCSI interface ALPS printers originally intended for
Macintosh users (great for decal creation in the scale modeling
community). The card is supported by the kernel aic7xxx driver.

Is it conceptually still possible to compile the old scsi.c backend in
CUPS 1.2 (intended for the 2.4 kernel I gather), together with
linux-scsi.c and the kernel scsi/sg.h file (granted I might need to
make some small changes in the function owing to changes in the
current sg3 driver)?

The scsi.c backend looks like a simple wrapper, and linux-scsi.c only
implements a couple of functions, interacting with the kernel sg/sg3
driver.
So I assume it might be easy to achieve. If anyone knows if there are
other obstacles please let me know.

Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug