[cups] Scanning question (OT?)

Mark Dm markosjal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 01:55:30 PDT 2021

This may be off topic for this group but I thought after weeks I might now
give it a try Please forgive me if it is the wrong place but I have no
idea where lines between CUPS and OpenPrinting  and PWG begin and endi

Some time ago I put together a scanning app that employed the eSCL /
Airscan protocol. I never did have great compatibility with some clients
like escl/Airscan for Linux. It seemed to never work with Apple or Mopria
Scan for Android

Recently I found a tool that made it easy for me to modify that same code
to share a Windows scanner over the eSCL protocol. To my delight I also
discovered that Mopria has published a document with details of the eSCL
protocol, finally. No more reverse engineering, or so I thought.

That Mopria doc is here
Spec Download (mopria.org) <https://mopria.org/spec-download>

After cleaning up, updating and refining code to take to from Linux to
Windows, PHP 6 to PHP 8, and referencing the Mopria Document, sure enough
in exactly the same place in the scanning transaction where I had issues
before;

That Mopria document seems to lack  details to actually get the scan into
the Mopria Android client.

So, I now come to the point where I must ask...

At the point that Mopria Android makes the GET request for the scanned
image, it seems to be looking for a "Chunked" reply. Now I have spent
nearly two weeks trying to formulate a chunked reply that will satisfy the
Mopria Android Client from Apache / PHP8. I have made occasional tests from
OSX 10.14 as well with the same results. The response from my Apache/PHP8
configuration  seems to be ignored, no matter what I have tried. Of course
the Mopria doc seems to be somewhat vague in this regard.

Does anyone have any info on formulating a proper delivery of the
chunked payload of PDF or JPG that works with macOS and Mopria Android?

Note:
It seems that at least one (possibly both)  of the Linux backends do not
care if the data is not chunked or not so they are not valid for testing as
they are too easy to satisfy and work even when the image is not chunked.

Thanks

Mark

Virus-free.
www.avg.com