[cups] A primer on CUPS and printers

Johnnie W Adams jxadams at ualr.edu
Mon Mar 1 08:54:40 PST 2021

Hi,

     This is all super helpful!

     My specific problem right now is going from the old 1.3.7 version to
the new 1.6.3 version as I move from one machine to another. (I can't go to
a 2.x version for a while.) I am having extreme trouble getting
authentication working. I've yet to see a pop-up box for it. I normally get
a login box when I configure a printer on the old 1.3.7 version; on the new
one, I just get Forbidden. I'm not seeing a difference in cupsd.conf that
explains it, either.

Thanks,

     John A

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 9:52 AM Jörg Thümmler <listen at vordruckleitverlag.de>
wrote:

> Am 18.02.21 um 15:14 schrieb Johnnie W Adams:
> > Hi, folks,
> >
> >       I spent the first ten years of my time as a UNIX/Linux admin
> working
> > with very large systems that didn't use printers.
> >
> >       Now I do manage printers, and am finding it much rougher going
> than i
> > had expected. I'm right now working on moving CUPS and a couple hundred
> > printers from a very old version of Linux to a new one. (RHEL 5 to RHEL
> 7,
> > and no, it was not my idea to let that old RHEL 5 machine live this
> long.)
> > I get the pieces, but I don't yet have an overview of what I'm doing.
> >
> >       Can someone recommend a primer or a reading path through the CUPS
> > documentation?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> >       John A
> >

> Hi,
>
> you might have seen, the localhost:631 website has quite good references
> for the configs. Mostly you don't need that more.
>
> Apples view on this you can find here:
> https://opensource.apple.com/source/cups/cups-30/doc/sam.pdf
>
> There will be more in the www, but usually, if you don't have to manage
> very special things, this is enough. If your users use modern software,
> as office, webbrowser, mailer using a graphical desktop, printing will
> be done as in window$.
> Other software (if without own special drivers) should put out
> postscript, which cups converts into the printer language, the used
> printer understands. Usually the "lpr" command is used this way.
> And you can write own "drivers"  and pipe the data to an "raw" printer,
> which just sends the data without conversion to the used printer by "lpr".
> If you have simple txt data, you can use "enscript" to generate ps from
> that.
> A thing i often use as a shortcut for programming graphic output from
> data without complex office stuff is: producing html output, then
> converting in pdf by "wkhtmltopdf" and then converting to ps by "pdf2ps"
> and then sending as ps to a ps printer. Sounds strange, but is fast and
> good quality...
>
> hth - feel free to ask further...
>
> --
> cu
>
> jth

John Adams
Linux/Middleware Administrator  | Information Technology Services
+1-501-916-3010 | jxadams at ualr.edu | http://ualr.edu/itservices
*UA Little Rock*

Reminder:  IT Services will never ask for your password over the phone or
in an email. Always be suspicious of requests for personal information that
come via email, even from known contacts.  For more information or to
report suspicious email, visit IT Security
<http://ualr.edu/itservices/security/>.