[cups] A primer on CUPS and printers

Jörg Thümmler listen at vordruckleitverlag.de
Tue Mar 2 23:04:31 PST 2021

Am 02.03.21 um 23:19 schrieb Johnnie W Adams:
> Thanks! This was super helpful.
>
> The one big change from 1.3 to 1.6 which still puzzles me is the relation
> between cupsd.conf and cups-files.conf. There are Location directives in
> both. Is this just a convenience thing? Could it (in theory) all go in
> cupsd.conf? Or is there a way of specifying which goes where? If both files
> have a Location directive for the same location, which one controls the
> operations?
>
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 12:57 AM Jörg Thümmler <listen at vordruckleitverlag.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 01.03.21 um 17:54 schrieb Johnnie W Adams:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>        This is all super helpful!
>>>
>>>        My specific problem right now is going from the old 1.3.7 version
>>> the new 1.6.3 version as I move from one machine to another. (I can't go
>>> a 2.x version for a while.) I am having extreme trouble getting
>>> authentication working. I've yet to see a pop-up box for it. I normally
>> get
>>> a login box when I configure a printer on the old 1.3.7 version; on the
>> new
>>> one, I just get Forbidden. I'm not seeing a difference in cupsd.conf that
>>> explains it, either.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>        John A
>>>
>>> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 9:52 AM Jörg Thümmler <
>> listen at vordruckleitverlag.de>

>> CUPS

>> "lpr".

>> Hi,
>>
>> below is an old cups.conf (1.3.9) allowing mostly anything from anywhere
>> in the LAN. You may use that for starting with a very "open" cups and
>> secure it later...
>>
>> --
>> cu
>>
>> jth
>>
>> -------------cups.conf ------------------

Hi,

my cups 1.3.9 has no cups-files.conf. My cups 2.x has, but there are
only file location definitions, as where the logs e.g. are situated
physically. No <...> tags with limitations or something of that kind.

I would try to get an fresh cups-files.conf for your cups version, try
to install it on a test machine and take it from this. I never changed
this file...

--
cu

jth