[cups] Centos 7.9 cups-1.6.3-51.el7.x86_64 & cups, stalling the transfer of printed files from the client machines to the cups print server

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Fri May 14 06:59:17 PDT 2021

> Am 12.05.2021 um 23:09 schrieb Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.Net>:
>
> Everyone,
>
> I have had cups printing services set up for years without having a
> problem.  We recently created guest Centos 7.9 machines out of several
> of our services on an ESXI hypervisor. The cups print server is not on
> the hypervisor and has continued to function independently of ESXI.
>
> I have been having some problems with our cups printing service for the
> last 4 months.  I have a gateway machine that holds the printer
> information and is the print server.  The other client  machines on the
> network use cups and cups-browsed that are set up to spool the print
> jobs to the gateway and then the gateway sends the data stream to the
> respective printers.
>
> ….
>
> systemctl restart cups and cups-browsed does fix the problem, but this
> is required to do about once every 60 minutes. This process destroys
> the print queue and the print job is lost.
>
> However, taking the printer out of pause via html using localhost:631
> restarts the print job to completion.
>
> If any of you have had this problem I would sure appreciate your help.

Without knowing more details about your network configuration (including the hypervisor configuration)
it is hardly possible to give reliable advice.
But, at a first glance (see the 60 minute period), I suspect you use at least one DHCP server
in your network which is configured to use dynamic assignment of the client’s ip addresses, and the
keep-alive dialogue between the DHCP server and the clients is broken or miscongured.

This is a first hypothesis I would check.

Helge