[cups] Allowing anyone logged onto the server to print without a password

Jörg Thümmler listen at vordruckleitverlag.de
Fri Aug 19 02:08:14 PDT 2022

Am 17.08.22 um 22:21 schrieb Johnnie W Adams:
> Hi,
>
>       Adding the user to the lp group had no effect.
>
> ~]$ /usr/bin/lpr -Pbiol11 foo
>
> Password for **** on localhost?
>

>       I can print but that user can't:
>

> ~]$ lpr -P biol11 foo
>
> ~]$ echo $?
>
> 0
>

> Thanks,
>

>       John A
>
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 6:49 AM Jörg Thümmler <listen at vordruckleitverlag.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 10.08.22 um 14:40 schrieb Johnnie W Adams:
>>> Running from the command line only, using things like lpr.

>> Services

>> or
>>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> usually that's the default setting after a fresh cups installation...?
>>
>> Try to ad your users to the "lp" user group.
>>
>> Do you get an error message trying
>>
>>          lpr -P<yourprinter> <somefile>
>>
>> e.g.    lpr -PBrother233 /etc/hosts
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Use the web interface at http://localhost:631 to see if there are jobs?
>>
>> --
>> cu
>>
>> jth

Hi,

asking for passwd seems to be a new "feature" of cups (i would call it a
bug)

You have to modify your printers.conf for this printer, there should be
lines beginning like

AuthenticationRequired
AllowUser

for this printer entry. Comment them out:

shut down cups    #systemctl stop cups

edit the file /etc/cups/printers.conf comment the lines out

restart cups	#systemctl start cups

there should be a more elegant and compatible way of doing this and i
believe there is a general switch in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf or somewhere
else to change the security level to prevent these entries, but i didn't
find it.

--
cu

jth