[cups] Switching to HPLIP (Was: Problem with cups selecting manual tray on HP laserjet)

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Sun Dec 18 11:45:30 PST 2022

>> Try HPLIP and printer-driver-postscript-hp.

> Yes, this is next on my todo list, after I've finished noting down
> everything I've learned in this thread, which is a lot.

> According to this table the "HP Color LaserJet Pro m252dw" is supported
> from version 3.15.4 of hplip:
>  https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

> The current version of hplip in debian stable, i.e. 11.6 "bullseye", is
> 3.21.2, so that looks promising:
>  https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/hplip

Well, partial success. Initially it looked good, but when I printed from
vivaldi the output lacked colour (the test pages from cups had colour).

Does anyone know what I could look for, either in the PPD or in the cups
dialogs?

The driverless printer shows up with an extra dropdown in the print
dialog popped up when printing from google docs in vivaldi.  The
dropdown has the title "Color" and the choices "Black and White" and
"Color".

To install the hplip printer, I first did "apt install hplip" and then:
 1. Clicked on "Find New Printer"
 2. Three printers showed up
    - Virtual Braille BRF Printer (CUPS-BRF)
    - Hewlett-Packard HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw (Hewlett-Packard HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw (driverless))
    - HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw (HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw)
 3. Clicked on "Add This Printer" before "HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw (HP Color LaserJet Pro M252dw)"
 4. Added a name, description and location and clicked "Continue"
 5. Under "Make" selected "HP" and clicked "Continue"
 6. This time there was a lot more choice under "Model", there were 13 lines of "HP Color LaserJet PRO M252 Postscript (recommended) (en)"
 7. Picked the first of the 13 "HP Color LaserJet PRO M252 Postscript (recommended) (en)" and clicked "Add Printer"
 8. Landed on the page "Set Printer Options" with the following settings
      | Media size | Letter    |
      | Two-sided  | off       |
      | Paper feed | Automatic |
 9. Clicked "Query Printer for Default Options" and landed on a page with options listed
10. Selected "Set default options" from dropdown and changed options to the following and clicked "Set Default Options"
       | Media size | A4                |
       | Two-sided  | Long-edge binding |
       | Paper feed | Automatic         |
11. Got an error message
         Error: The following options are conflicting:

         Two-Sided: Long-Edge Binding
         Duplex Unit: Off
         Please change one or more of the options to resolve the conflicts.
12. Selected "Options Installed" and switched "Duplex Unit" to "on" and clicked "Set Default Options"
13. The options were successfully saved