[cups] iOS will No longer print "...do not have permissions..."

Mark Dm markosjal at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 20:04:18 PST 2022

I wanted to update this with the fix. Not sure what part of this fixed it.

I went to my Pi's IP Address as I always do:
https://192.168.0.50:631
And it worked fine
Now from a Mac (which I almost never use for anything other  than testing)
At some point, I  saw a link that said "open printer admin page", or
something like that, and clicked it What I got was
https://raspberrypi.local:631 /Dell_1355CN which displayed "forbidden"
where I should have seen the CUPS admin page. Then it hit me that the Apple
Crap always uses the hostname from Bonjour. "raspberrypi" is the hostname
of "192.168.0.50". The IP worked but the "raspberrypi.local", hostname that
the Mac was trying to access did not

So after some googling I read that I should change some cups settings
specifically using "Allow all" instead of "Allow @local " (I think this is
what it was) in the conf under "Location", "Location/admin" and
Location/admin/conf then restart the CUPS server , as I did then run
cupsctl-remote-admin

After doing several other things on the Mac and updating some stuff and a
restart to the Raspberry Pi, I got back to checking if If could access the
Pi via the hostname and there it was. I could now get to the admin page via
the hostname again, like I used to be able to.

The best part is I an also again able to print from iOS

So I guess perhaps  on some versions of CUPS it does not treat the hostname
the same as the IP and will not allow traffic from an IP to it's hostname??
Odd.

Mark