[cups] Das System listet die installierten Treiber auf. Wir brauchen den Samsung SCX-6x55. Wir gehen

Axel Braun axel.braun at gmx.de
Thu Jul 7 00:24:57 PDT 2022

Hello Stefan,

Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2022, 08:24:56 CEST schrieb Stefan Großhauser:

> Now, unfortunately we have not succeeded in setting such a printer up with
> CUPS 2.2.6 and we were told by Deutsch Post support that currently this is
> actually not possible with Linux/CUPS. I can hardly believe this...

Me neither :-)

> For MacOS they provide a sh Skript in this archive
>
> https://updater.epostbusinessmailer.net/html/docs/epostmailer/EPOSTMAILER-Ne
> tzwerkdrucker-einrichten-unter-macOS.zip which has the following content:
>

> ## BEGIN E-POSTNOW-Netzwerkdrucker-einrichten-unter-macOS.sh
> ##################### set -e
> echo "Bitte geben Sie die Drucker-URL ein."
> read printer_url
> https="https"
> if [[ $printer_url != https* ]] ;
> then
>   echo "Die Drucker-URL muss mit https beginnen."
>   exit -1
> fi
>
> echo "Bitte geben Sie den Druckernamen ein."
> read printer_name
> if ! lpadmin -p $printer_name -P
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Framew
> orks/PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generic.ppd" -v $printer_url
> -E -o printer-is-shared=false -L "Deutsche Post AG"; then
>   echo "Beim Hinzufügen des Druckers ist ein unerwarteter Fehler
> aufgetreten." exit -1
> else
>   echo "Der Drucker wurde hinzugefügt."
> fi
> ## END E-POSTNOW-Netzwerkdrucker-einrichten-unter-macOS.sh
> #####################
>
> Hence this just calls lpadmin to create a printer. Isn't this CUPS, too?

Should work when adding a printer manually as well. Just the path where the
grab the ppd from is different. And 'generic.ppd ' sounds like a very basic
driver.

When you downloaded the ppd:

> Deutsche Post recommends to use a driver for "Samsung SCX-6x55" from
> https://www.openprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.php?driver=Postscript-Samsung&print
> er=Samsung-SCX-6x55

you should be able to add the printer:

docb at X1E:~> sudo lpadmin -p "Briefdruck" -P "/home/docb/Downloads/Samsung-
SCX-6x55-Postscript-Samsung.ppd" -v https://mailer-printer.epost.de/
kd5025991737/3025/test -E -o printer-is-shared=false -L "Deutsche Post AG"

Not sure that the Samsung driver is a good idea, as lpadmin reports back:

lpadmin: Druckertreiber sind veraltet und werden in einer zukünftigen Version
von CUPS nicht mehr funktionieren.

[printer drivers are outdated and will not work in a future version of CUPS)

From here it needs a bit finetuning, test-print gives:
"Use "pdftops-renderer" option (see cups-filters README file) to use
Ghostscript or MuPDF for the PDF -> PostScript conversion."

So maybe a very generic printer driver is a better choice

Hope that helps
Axel

PS: CUPS 2.4.2 on openSUSE Tumbleweed