[cups] CUPS RHEL 5 versus CUPS RHEL 8

Johnnie W Adams jxadams at ualr.edu
Thu Aug 31 07:22:15 PDT 2023

Hi,

     I've been kind of narrating this as I figured it out. Somehow, I've
got cups 1.3.7 working from the command line without a Listen
/var/run/cups/cups.sock directive in cupsd.conf . Apparently I can't do
that with cups 2.2.6 . If there's a difference, that's it.

Thanks,

     John A

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 12:27 AM Jörg Thümmler <listen at vordruckleitverlag.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> could be interesting, which new stuff exactly - can you give a short
> summery?
>
> --
> cu
>
> jth
>
> Am 30.08.23 um 22:27 schrieb Johnnie W Adams:
> > Having spent some quality time with CUPS and RHEL 8 the last few days,
> I'm
> > ready to say the problem is not RHEL 8. There was new stuff in CUPS 2.x
> > which I was unaware of and it got me.
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 2:58 AM gene heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
> wrote:

> >> You may be getting cups from the wrong src. Its latest is at:
> >> <https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups>
> >> Michael is no longer at Apple.

> entering.

> >> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
> >> --
> >> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> >>    soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> >> -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
> >> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> respectable.
> >>    - Louis D. Brandeis
> >> Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/>

John Adams
Senior Linux/Middleware Administrator  | Information Technology Services
+1-501-916-3010 | jxadams at ualr.edu | http://ualr.edu/itservices
*UA Little Rock*

Reminder:  IT Services will never ask for your password over the phone or
in an email. Always be suspicious of requests for personal information that
come via email, even from known contacts.  For more information or to
report suspicious email, visit IT Security
<http://ualr.edu/itservices/security/>.