[cups] cups-2.3b8: Unable to encrypt connection: A TLS fatal alert has been received

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sun Feb 5 23:10:51 PST 2023

El día lunes, febrero 06, 2023 a las 07:32:47 +0100, Jörg Thümmler escribió:

> Am 04.02.23 um 11:15 schrieb Matthias Apitz:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > We face a problem with an own compiled cups-2.3b8 on SuSE Linux 15 SP4.
> > Here are the details from the log (...):
> >
> > etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> >
> >   15 ServerAlias *
> >   16
> >   17 DefaultEncryption Required
> >   18 Encryption Required
> >

> > var/log/cups/error_log:
> >
> > E [04/Feb/2023:03:59:06 +0100] Unknown directive Encryption on line 18 of /usr/local/sisis-pap/cups2/etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
> >
> > Why cupsd is rejecting the 'Encryption Required' line?

> Hi,
>
> cupsd.conf only knows
>
> DefaultEncryption Never
> DefaultEncryption IfRequested
> DefaultEncryption Required
>
> There is no Encryption Required in man cupsd.conf (5)
>
> And "DefaultEncryption Required"  is the default anyway.
>
> So no need for these settings, i assume.

Hi,

Following the man page of cupsd.conf, your asumption might be wrong:

man cupsd.conf
       Encryption IfRequested

       Encryption Never

       Encryption Required
            Specifies the level of encryption that is required for a
            particular location.  The default value is "IfRequested".

But you're correct in the sense that this is only valid Within Location
And Limit Sections.

http://www.cups.org/doc/man-cupsd.conf.html

Thanks for your feedback anyway.

	matthias