[cups] cups not working on debian

Jörg Thümmler listen at vordruckleitverlag.de
Sun Jan 22 22:51:32 PST 2023

Am 22.01.23 um 17:54 schrieb Pierre Frenkiel:
> hi,
> I can't make cups to work on my Debian bullseye desktop
> I get:
>
>   ExecStart=/usr/sbin/cupsd -l (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>
> and I am unable to fix that.
>
> Has anybody an idea ?
>
> If usefull, I can send 1 or more conf files. Tell me which ones you need.
>
> Pierre Frenkiel

Hi,

assuming cupsd software is correctly installed (checked that?):

if would try to start it by systemd (your err msg looks like systemd...)

systemctl restart cups

and after that (assuming it exits with the error)

systemctl status cups

and journalctl -r

or journalctl -r -u cups

if nothing comes out of that i would try to start the cups binary
manually (/usr/sbin/cupsd) and see  if there any err msgs. If it exits
with failure (which as assume) and you can't see anything of interest,
you can use strace:

strace /usr/sbin/cupsd

hth
--