[cups] CUPS 2.3.3op2 and Samba Printing

Mark Dm markosjal at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 05:17:53 PDT 2023

I have had a Raspberry Pi 3B+ configured on my network for SAMBA printing
that would serve up the printer driver files for a Windows Machine.

It is convenient for me as when the occasional friend or family member
needs to print something I need not go looking for and installing drivers
on their system and I can leave it entirely to them to do the "Windows
networking way".

I recently upgraded from my old Debian (Raspbian) 9 install on the Pi 3B+
to Debian 11 .

As I am getting lost in getting SAMBA/CUPS configured for my needs, I am
wondering if there is a CURRENT tutorial on how to make this work as I can
see there have been a lot of changes to both CUPS and SAMBA since debian 9
. As stated I want the drivers pushed from CUPS/SAMBA to the windows
client, as it has always worked before. I am not finding much help on the
Internet that is specific to newer installs and in fact most of it is very
old. I know I can just install the shared CUPS printer in Windows , but
that is not what I am looking for.

Also I need to know if I need to do anything special I need to do to print
from generic Android print driver or from IOS. Last I tried the generic
Android Print driver, it did not work with a CUPS printer for some reason,
but it seems it worked before.  I also found the same with the Mopria Print
driver. I know there is a generic CUPS print driver for Android, but I
would prefer to keep all of those drivers to a minimum on all platforms.

Please help me get my Pi 3B+ back up to the printing level I had before if
you can.

Thanks

Mark