[cups] doing things the "right" way

Douglas Kosovic doug at uq.edu.au
Thu Oct 12 23:37:30 PDT 2023

Hi Matt,

Try 'avahi-browse --all -r' and see if the print queues are being advertised over mDNS, if you don't see any, try adding the following line to /etc/cups/cupsd.conf (and restart CUPS) :

BrowseDNSSDSubTypes _cups,_universal,_print

If you are running a Linux desktop environment, think you can't avoid having CUPS installed locally if you want to print.

If you are just using the command-line printing tools like lpr, lpq, etc, you could set the following env variable to get them to use a remote CUPS server:

export CUPS_SERVER="zed.z.net:631"

See env variable section on:
   https://openprinting.github.io/cups/doc/man-cups.html

Cheers,