[cups] Samba print command changes printers.conf

Jörg Thümmler listen at vordruckleitverlag.de
Tue Sep 26 01:53:57 PDT 2023

Hi,

I have a confusing behavior here:

I have some smb printers configured on my opensuse linux server (cups
2.2.7) configured like this:

<Printer printername>
UUID urn:uuid:72a3d588-67ec-3b7d-657d-a7b39300ce1d
AuthInfoRequired none
Info Laptop User
DeviceURI smb://username:password@sambahost/printershare
State Idle
StateTime 1695654479
ConfigTime 1680251768
Type 4
Accepting Yes
Shared No
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy retry-job
</Printer>

the samba host is a windows 10 machine connected over an openvpn tunnel.
Means: connected, if win machine is online and the tunnel is used...
If a print job is generated for this printer, cups sets the
"AuthInfoRequired" to next higher security level - in this case from
"none" to "username,password". Maybe in the moment of connecting the
samba host.
In fact I former had "username,password" set and it was set to
"negotiate" then. This always stopped the printing because the
authentication on the samba host's printer share is username/password as
ususal. Changing printers entry to "AuthInfoRequired none" leads to an
working config now, when changed ... but I'm confused by the changing
anyway.

Any ideas how this is happening?

--
cu