[cups] turning off fit-to-page

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Mon Jan 8 13:16:51 PST 2024

On 2024-01-08 07:25, Jörg Thümmler wrote:
> Am 07.01.24 um 02:23 schrieb Gary Dale:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> what kind of printer you are printing on? I assume only ps and pdf
>>> printers will understand this (to me until now unknown) option.
>>> On the other hand it's possible only special content, as pdf, may be
>>> printed using this option succsessfully.
>>> I would install a pdf output printer and test the effect of the
>>> option in the outputted pdf.
>>>
>> It's an under-documented option but graphical programs have for
>> decades offered the option of fit-to-page (scaling up or down), crop,
>> or even tile across multiple pages.
>>

> Hi again,
>
> I'm not sure these graphical programs used any cups page fitting,
> tiling ... whatever machanism. I believe, they simply produced
> postscript pages for output and it is not that complicated to make a
> scaling, tiling, cropping on them afterwards. I'm using ps programming
> myself sometimes and even for me as a beginner this is no magic. So
> they simply sended the correct generated pages to the printer and cups
> just putted out, I assume.
>
>> Clearly lp understands its own options. What is bizarre is that it
>> doesn't act on them properly. Again, setting the printer option
>> globally results in no modification to the global lpoptions file
>> while setting the option for a regular use does modify their
>> lpoptions file. This is not how the lpotions command is supposed to
>> work.
>>
>> Moreover, the option seems to be ignored except when it is specified
>> on the command line. Again, the lp command should be taking direction
>> from the global file, the local user file and the command line but
>> doesn't seem to be.
>
> I tested then on my good old running opensuse server (11.4, kernel
> 4.12.14) with cups 2.2.7:
> I had no "/etc/cups/lpoptions" file at all until testing your command.
> But when I tested, it worked as expected:
> lpoptions -p lp -o fit-to-page=off
> generated a /etc/cups/lpotions file with
> "Default lp fit-to-page=off" as the only line (lp is my default
> printer), interesting was, giving the "lpotions" command for any other
> printer ended in 2 lines in the created lpoptins file:
>     default lp
>     <printer> fit-to-page=off
> but anyway, it worked: sending an a3 pdf to the a4 printer ("lpr -Plp
> a3.pdf")
> ended in printing the a3 image unscaled, so only partially on one a4
> sheet.
> with "lpoptions -p lp -o fit-to-page=on" the lpoptions file was
> changed to on and next lpr command gave a downscaled page with the
> full image on one sheet.
> Deleting the lpoptions file (and restarting cups to be sure this is
> registered by cups) lead the result of "fit-to-page=off" - unscaled
> and not fitting image.
>
> then I tested the same on my new test install (opensuse 15.5, kernel
> 5.14.21-150500.55.39-default) cups is 2.2.7 as well but seems to be
> [...]
That explains why your testing produced different results from mine. You
are running antique versions of CUPS that work, while I am running a
more up-to-date version. Debian/Stable (12) brought me CUPS v2.4.2 while
my Debian/Testing (13) workstation is running CUPS v2.4.7.

As I reported, I wasn't having these issues with the Debian/Buster (10)
(now oldoldstable) CUPS server but after upgrading to Bullseye (11) in
late 2021, printing became problematic. Bookworm (12), which I upgraded
to in late 2023, made things worse as printer classes stopped working. I
mainly use printer classes on my laptop but that laptop requires
Bookworm (12) to run properly.

Printer classes still worked on Bullseye (11). I know that because I was
using the same printers back then with my laptop limping along with a
Bullseye install. However I was able to get it really working when I did
a clean install from a release-candidate Bookworm (12) installer. It was
s few months later that I discovered the problem with print classes.

I agree with your slow but steady comment but Debian/Stable has
generally been just that - stable. These CUPS issues are a disturbing
anomaly.