[cups.bugs] Zebra->/dev/lp0->Cups->http broken

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Dec 3 15:50:32 PST 2007

eman resu wrote:
> A Zebra 2844 using the EPL2 1.3 drivers in Cups 1.3.4 (via gentoo portage) works fine locally via parallel port (thank you very much for that).
> But when connecting from a windows machine via http, cups will report success without actually printing anything.
>
> I'm certainly no cups veteran, but I took care in doing some research, but came up with nothing that yielded any clues.
>
> Cups error_log (with debug turned on, and timestamps stipped):
> Is remote printing like this something that should work with this printer?

It *should* work for this printer, however you might be getting the
wrong kind of data for your printer from the Windows system.

Try pausing the queue ("cupsdisable barcode"), send a print job from
the Windows system, and then look at the data file (/var/spool/cups/d*)
for the job - it should be mostly printable lines like:

     S10
     D8
     q800
     P1

If not, try running the "file" command on the data file to see if it
is another recognizable format.