[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2428: CUPS needs a way to easilyquery policy permissions

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Jul 5 07:31:10 PDT 2007

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Jul 4 22:57 Michael Sweet wrote:
>> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>>
>> The thing to do is read the cupsd.conf file.  We are not interested in
>> adding another IPP extension just for this...
>>
>> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2428
>> Version:  -feature
>> Fix Version: Will Not Fix
>

> I do not understand how "read the cupsd.conf file" should work
> when the printer setup tool process runs under a user who has
> no read permissions for cupsd.conf (but according to the policy
> the user may have full printer admin permissions).

True, but you should also be able to authenticate as another user
when doing administrative functions.  That is, always show all
admin options/functions, then prompt the user for a username and
password (defaulting the username to the current one) when your
password callback is invoked.  The password callback then needs
to call cupsSetUser() to set the username to the one provided by
the user.

> How does the CUPS web interface solve this problem?
> Does it let the user click around and select whatever he likes
> but at the end when the queue should actually be changed
> it informs the user about a "permission denied"?

It prompts for both the username and password, and only shows
the "permission denied" message when you cancel the authentication
dialog in the browser.