[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2883: interface hangs when selecting model/manufacturer

Dan Chokola dan at chokola.com
Mon Jul 21 07:36:10 PDT 2008

I came across a bug that was closed due to submitter inactivity which seems
to describe the same problem: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2868
An Ubuntu bug describes it as well:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/218663
And today I came across a user on IRC with the same problem. I and the IRC
user are using Debian.

Executive summary: remotely adding a new printer is impossible as the web
interface hangs after selecting a manufacturer.

I noticed a few things while trying to "trick" cups into playing nice with
me. First, the debug output is no help, only some output displaying the
HTTP POST. Another is that when not using SSL (i.e. http://myserver:631)
there is no problem. Although upon completion of the setup, the web
interface simply links back to the SSL-enabled https:// page and does not
add the printer. Finally, the debug output shows some timeouts after a few
minutes of waiting for the request to complete. Nothing else happens.

According to the IRC user with the same problem, this is only an issue
with remote connections. From localhost, he says, the setup went smoothly.

I have cups uninstalled completely and the logs are gone as a result. I
can't work on it right now but if need be I'll reproduce the problem.