[cups.bugs] incorrect permissions on dnssd and lpd

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu May 3 11:11:44 PDT 2012

Johannes,

On May 3, 2012, at 3:48 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
>> I will look into this (would be great to have a bug for this BTW! :),
>
> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4068

Thanks!

>> 2. What is not stable in case of minor release updates
>>
>> If you are referring to "patch" releases (CUPS major.minor.patch),
>> we do not add new interfaces (or change existing interfaces)
>> in patch releases. Except in extraodinary circumstances, only
>> a "feature" release (CUPS major.minor.0) may contain new interfaces.
>
> I meant "minor" as in major.minor.patch according to
> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-cmp.html
> (I really did read this before ;-)
> because you wrote "we have changed the low-level interface to backends
> in pretty much every minor release of CUPS".
>
> Is it possible to provide some explanatory information what
> such "extraodinary circumstances" might be?

For example, we found a bug in how IPP collections were handled in CUPS 1.4.3 and earlier that required a minor API change in 1.4.4: we added a reference count to the ipp_t structure. This potentially caused a memory leak for existing programs that did not "delete" the ipp_t structure added to a collection, but fortunately their use is rare in CUPS-based programs, even today.