MacOSX 10.3.5 need secure,authenticated printing - how?

Dag Tore Antonsen d.t.antonsen at usit.uio.nospam
Wed Aug 11 15:12:12 PDT 2004

Hi!

I was wondering how we can get our students using labmachines to have a
secure, "authenticated" way of printing, using for example a password
protected smb-server?

Problem:
The students have to pay for each printout. We need to make sure that it
is this student that's doing the printout, and that it is in no way
someone else. We need to authenticate the users before they are allowed
to print.

Is this possible?

I've tried LPD-printing, which works well, but is not secure (it also
allows "fake" users), and smb-printing. But to use the
smb-printing/smb-server you have to authenticate when setting up the
printer. This means that your username and password is kept in
/etc/cups/printers.conf , and we don't want that. It also means that the
bill for all printouts on that machine goes to the person configuring
the printers. I've tried removing the username and password, but that
leaves us the message of authentication error.

What we want:
We need to have the user logging in on for example a MacOSX-machine to
either be authenticated automatcially (via Active Directory or
something), OR that it pops up a window, asking for username and
password every time you print. We don't want to store anything about the
user/password on the machine. Is it in someway possible to configure
CUPS in this way?

Can anyone help?

;)

--