authenticate CUPS user on linux, for printing via samba

Dag Tore Antonsen d.t.antonsen at usit.uio.nospam
Wed Aug 11 14:51:50 PDT 2004

In article <c5otpb$o4b$1 at dns.easysw.com>, Willi Braun <wi.braun at web.de>
wrote:

> Herman B. wrote:
> > We have the following setup in our lab: an NT print server, and some linux
> > boxes connected to it with SAMBA (3.0). I can print using CUPS, but only if
> > I put my password in /etc/cups/printers.conf...
> > I also want to let different users on the linux boxes print on their own
> > accounts, i.e., they should fill in an authentication popup window before
> > they print, and the printing should not be billed on my account ony because
> > my username and password are in printers.conf ...
> >
> > How do I do this?
> >
> > Herman
>
> Hi Herman,
>
> Have you found a Solution for this Problem, yet?
> I have the sama Problem. If you have a functioning solution, I will happy if
> you email me.

Same here. We have 50000 students at the University of Oslo who now have
to pay for each printout they make. We therefore need secure
authentication when printing. I mainly work with MacOSX, but we also
have Linux and Windows machines with the same problem. If we can't get
smb-printing to work properly without putting the username and password
in printers.conf we need another solution.

I was wondering if anyone have any suggestion to how we can do this (smb
or otherwise)?

Feel free to email me at dagta @ mac.com if you want to discuss this
further.

;)