printer default configuration: collate

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Aug 12 15:14:05 PDT 2004

Hi Helge

> > > Another way maybe to change the PPD File and set Collate=True. This doesn't work for me with a HP LJ 4050 PPD (HPDefaultCollate=True).
> > >
> > > How does CUPS does 'collate' ? An inkjet printer probably has not enough memory to print a 100page document twice from the own memory. In that way, CUPS probably generate a printfile which conatins every page two times.
> > > On the other side, postscript printers perhaps can do that by their own.
> > >

> Does the web interface, when configuring the printer(s), offer the
> collate option
> (maybe using the localized keyword, if present)?
Yes, it offers. But I suppose that CUPS are able to handle 'collate'/'not collate' by itself and don't really need the printer inside functionality 'collate' . In that case, how can the 'collate' option configured network wide ?

> And, within the PPD, it should read "DefaultHPCollate", otherwise CUPS
> probably
> wouldn't recognize it.
Sure.

Again, I suppose using a way to configure 'collate' via the PPD, don't fit's exactly how CUPS manage 'collate'. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Thanks for help.

CU
Carsten