Printing from remote Solaris/SYSV lp to CUPS?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Aug 19 05:21:53 PDT 2004

martin.wardNOSPAM at uk.neceur.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to implement a central printing service like so:
>
> A central server running Suse 9.0 linux printing to various HP
> LaserJet printers. A couple of Suse, RedHat and Debian boxes plus
> numerous Solaris and HP-UX machines printing through the central
> server to the LJs.
>
> Now I can get CUPS installed and working on the central server fine,
> the problem is with the remote servers. I don't have CUPS or
> CUPS-CLIENT binaries for all of these systems and the main problem is
> with the Solaris machines. I can, however, install the standard SYSV
> LP subsystem on those machines.

CUPS binaries are available for all of the OS's you listed above
from numerous places.  Some come on CD-ROM (like the CUPS Companion
CD which also comes with the CUPS Book from our site - link below)
and some are available for download.

> The question is: Can I print using the SYSV LP system to a remote
> printer running fom the CUPS server, is there a model script that
> will do it? I've scoured the net but to no avail.

Solaris uses LPD when printing to a remote system; just setup cups-lpd
on the Linux server and you can print from any of the legacy printing
systems.