lpq (CUPS client & LPRng server) queries show no jobs

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Dec 9 15:41:54 PST 2004

David Botsch wrote:
> There is not? Then how does the LPRng lpq do it? Briefly looking at
> rfc1179, it looks like it's a simple client/server protocol where the
> client sends the "Send queue state" command to the server, gets back
> a response, maybe parses the reponse, and prints said response. I
> don't think the client needs to actually keep track of the job number
> itself.

Actually, it does need the job ID.  The lpq and lpstat commands
only support IPP - we have no plans or desire to support LPD in
these apps - so the only place to track the job is in the LPD
backend.

Since the LPD print command does not return a job ID, and there
is no way to reliably determine the job ID after the fact, there
is no way for us to track jobs printed via LPD...

>> b) wait for job completion via the LPD protocol which LPRng uses.
>> When printing via LPD, you lose job monitoring, control, and any
>> guarantees of successful printing...
>>

> I think you misunderstood what I meant. When you lprm a job, you
> aren't lprm'ing it on the local machine, you are lprm'ing it on the
> remote server. So, you look at the output of lpq, then lprm -Pprinter
> job_number which causes lpq to send the "Remove jobs" command to the
> server which does something then sends back a response.
>
> So, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.

That's not how it works with CUPS/IPP.  Each client maintains a
local queue, and jobs are deleted from the local queue.

>> IIRC, Patrick has an IPP module for Apache that works with LPRng
>> which you could use to get the behavior you want - the jobs will
>> stay in the local queue until completed by the server.
>

> So, you are suggesting, cups on local computer to remote cups queue
> to remote LPRng server?

Actually, it is CUPS -> remote IPP module in Apache -> LPRng.