How do I change the default font?

Mal Mal
Mon Dec 13 03:35:10 PST 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:

> Well, I've been imprecise in my answer. As Michal Sweet pointed out, the
> testtops
> filter gets the font information from the charset files (usually in the
> /usr/share/cups/charsets directory). You could try to copy a suitable
> charset file
> under a new name, say my-charset, and replace "Courier" by the font name
> you need.
> Then print using the option
> 	-o document-format=text/plain,charset=my-charset
> or
> 	-o attributes-charset=my-charset
> and see what happens.

OK,
Firstly, thanks for your reply and efforts.
I copied the 'iso-8859-1' charset file to 'my-charset' in that directory and changed the appropriate line to read:-
00 ff ltor single Helvetica Helvetica-Bold Helvetica-Oblique Helvetica-BoldOblique

The first option above came back with:-
lp: unable to print file: client-error-document-format-not-supported

is this a version issue? (we're using cups-1.1.17-13.3.13)

The second option still printed in Courier.
It also prints courier when I try printing using a non-existent charset.

I'm wondering where it picks up the font from?
The only Helvetica we have are a set of .afm files under OpenOffice.
The only PS fonts in /usr/share/cups/fonts are the 4 Courier ones and Symbol? (I just tried Symbol in place of Helvetica in the charset file and that didn't make any difference either).

We have ghostscript-fonts-5.50-9 installed.
Does cups use the mappings in /usr/share/ghostscript/7.05/lib/Fontmap.GS?
How should it find this font?

Thanks for your help.

Mal