[cups.general] WAS:install 1.1.22, cannot configure from web

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon Dec 13 09:23:58 PST 2004

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Then I discovered a cups.spec file in the archive so I fired off
> an rpmbuild -ba cups.spec, which ended early because it didn't
> like the "game:4000" group:owner of the spec file so i made it
> root:root and then it appeared to build ok.  But on trying to
> install it with the usual -Uvh argument to rpm, it gives this
> message:
>
> [root at coyote RPMS]# rpm -Uvh i386/cups-1.1.22-1.i386.rpm
> /etc/security/selinux/file_contexts: No such file or directory
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         cups < 1:1.1.20-4 conflicts with dbus-0.22-4
>
> Whats the connection between an old version of cups thats not
> even installed and dbus-0.22-4?

The simplest solution is to simply do

rpm -Uvh --nodeps ...

Better would be to edit the cups.spec entering the correct CUPS version
(1.1.22) in its header.

The relation between dbus and CUPS on Ref Hat/Fedora systems is that the
CUPS package there is patched to use dbus for notifying the user about
jobs in progress. The user gets informed by an icon in the system tray
(egg tray) of GNOME, KDE, or IceWM.

    Till