Installing CUPS printer drivers on WinXP clients...

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Thu Dec 16 05:00:31 PST 2004

Peter Saward wrote:

> I have a Linux/CUPS/Netatalk/Samba system set up as a print server.
> This all works fine - the queues queue, the printers print...
> the cups printer drivers even install on XP clients from the
> samba print$ share.  The only problem is that the properties
> of the installed drivers can't be changed - every option is
> greyed out, so that printer settings (e.g. paper size) can't be
> adjusted.
>
> Can anyone, please, point me towards a fix for this???
>
> -P.

You must do the properties modification as administrator (or a user
having
administrator rights).

The best thing to set the defaults is to connect to the samba server as
user which has administrative rights on the samba server and set the
defaults
there, before installing this stuff on the client machines.

I urgently recommend to read the chapters 18 (classical printing
support) and
19 (CUPS printing support) of the official samba howto and follow the
recommendations given there.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke