[cups.general] Samba & cups: how exactly work together?

Toni tonimont at ya.com
Fri Jun 11 09:19:22 PDT 2004

I've fight to exhaustion with the manuals, but I surrended my self. If
somebody can help me I would be gratefully.

This is the layout:

Linux Suse 9.0 as a Samba(2.2.8a) master, with Cups(1.1.19) master and a
printer Deskjet930 connected to a parallel port. Through a domestic LAN two
Windows clients: a W2k and a XP. I pretend the printer in the linux box to
be shared with clients.

According to both manuals (samba and cups) less more than two settings in
smb.comf are needed to get the system work: "printing = cups" and "printcap
name = cups". In addition, of course, I've configured all the stuff
regarding nodes, names, path, etc.

In short: with Samba server and Smbclient, I can see, and access, shares in
both directions: from linux server to windows machines and vice versa. I
can also print locally from linux box. But although I can see the printer
from Windows clients, I can't print. In one case (w2k) all seems works
smoothly, but print jobs never reachs the printer (they appear to be
scheduled in the local queue, but then banish without any sign in the
server). In the other case (XP) I get directly this message error: "unable
to connect to Print1. You are not allowed...".

The question I want to put is: Witch are the settings one has to configure
in Cups configuration files?. Put in another words: where ends Cups and
begins Samba?.

Then I tried configuring in cupsd.conf this directives:

User lp
Group lp
RunAsUser Yes

Port 631

Browsing On
BrowseAddress 192.168.1.255
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 127.0.0.2
Allow From @LOCAL
</Location>

<Location /printers>
Deny From All
Allow From 192.168.1.*
Order Deny,Allow
</Location>

But things didn't seems to improve (?).

One thing more (sorry for the extension) in both Windows boxes HP
Windows-drivers are installed for as remote printers.

Regards,
Toni
(Barcelona)