[cups.general] Windows client with CUPS Server

Guenther Frick gfrick at gmx.net
Tue Jun 8 08:55:05 PDT 2004

nzhang at ricohcorp.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I have setup CUPS as server on RedHat Enterprise. Do I have to install
> printer driver on Windows client?. What kind GUI can be installed on Windows for access CUPS server ?.
> I want the CUPS as server, but Windows client without install the printer driver,only install GUI to printing document via CUPS server.
> Is it possible to do that?
>
> Thank for help

Does the printer contain a Postscript modul? That is not a matter of
course at Ricoh.

If yes then copy the PPD file to /usr/share/cups/model and restart CUPS.
Then setup the printer in a browser with http://localhost:631
Copy the new PPD in /etc/cups/ppd to your Windows computer and install
it with a Postscript driver.

If not then go to http://linuxprinting.org and download Foomatic. It
contains a program that inquires the printer features and creates a
PPD file. The rest is the same as above.