CUPS asking for USER AND PASSWORD

member7879 at yahoo.com member7879 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 11:54:31 PDT 2004

I'm using OS X Panther 10.3.4
I'm trying to use my panther to print through Windows non-postscript printer.
I tried this steps before on jaguar and worked but never use it on panther.

here are the steps that I did:
1. on terminal : su
# cd /ust/libexec/cups/backend
# pwd
# ln -s /usr/bin/smbspool /usr/libexec/cups/backend/smb

2. on internet explorer:
http://127.0.0.1:631/printer

as soon as I clicked add printer
CUPS asks for user and password.
I enter my root username and password and does not work.

I called apple and they can not help because it's a software base problem. they only said I should enable root and I did that, log out and log in as root and still can not figure out the username and password.

can anybody here help me please
I greatly appreciate it.

gracias !
thank you