Decifering PPD/lpoptions for use in "-o" command line

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Jun 11 13:26:50 PDT 2004

Patrick Spinler wrote:

> As a bit of additional information, I'm not certain that these options
> are working from linux at all.
>
> I just tried printing to this copier from OpenOffice 1.1, after setting
> it up using spadmin, and I asked that the print job be stapled by
> selecting the "Properties" button in the print dialog, then the "Device"
> tab in the options dialog, then selecting the "Staple Position" option
> and selecting an option.  (thankfully, OpenOffice does display a bit of
> explaination of what these options mean).
>
> Unfortunately, still no effect, that is, the copier printed the
> document, but did not staple it.
>
> btw -- exploring the printer options in the Properties dialog, it shows
> * "Puncher Unit" as "Not Installed"  (which is incorrect, there is a 3
> hole punch unit)
> * "Finishing" as "Off" (Does this need to be switched on, how?)
> * "Hole Punch" as "Off", with no other options displayed
>
> I attempted to set the "Puncher Unit" option to true using lpoptions,
> like this:
>
>    $ lpoptions -p copier -o Option3=True
>    $ lpoptions -p copier -l | grep -i punch
>    Punch/Hole Punch: *None PL PR PU PB
>    Option3/Puncher Unit: *True False
>
> Yet, OpenOffice's dialog still shows the "Puncher Unit" as "Not
> Installed".  Do I have to edit the PPD for this ?

Yes, you should 'configure' the printer installable options inside your PPD file using the CUPS web admin pages (http://localhost:631/admin) or by hand editing your '/etc/cups/ppd/your_printer_ppd_file.ppd

You could then install 'xpp' or 'kprinter' as a GUI for selecting the other printer options for only one print job or for all the jobs (default settings). These interfaces will be displayed after the print job has been generated by the application and before sending it to the CUPS system.

Try then using Mozilla (replace the Mozilla's print default command by 'xpp' or 'kprinter') for your tests. I think that OpenOffice needs special configuration. See the linuxprinting web site for the details.

Regards.