Decifering PPD/lpoptions for use in "-o" command line

Patrick Spinler pspinler at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 13:09:44 PDT 2004

As a bit of additional information, I'm not certain that these options
are working from linux at all.

I just tried printing to this copier from OpenOffice 1.1, after setting
it up using spadmin, and I asked that the print job be stapled by
selecting the "Properties" button in the print dialog, then the "Device"
tab in the options dialog, then selecting the "Staple Position" option
and selecting an option.  (thankfully, OpenOffice does display a bit of
explaination of what these options mean).

Unfortunately, still no effect, that is, the copier printed the
document, but did not staple it.

btw -- exploring the printer options in the Properties dialog, it shows
* "Puncher Unit" as "Not Installed"  (which is incorrect, there is a 3
hole punch unit)
* "Finishing" as "Off" (Does this need to be switched on, how?)
* "Hole Punch" as "Off", with no other options displayed

I attempted to set the "Puncher Unit" option to true using lpoptions,
like this:

   $ lpoptions -p copier -o Option3=True
   $ lpoptions -p copier -l | grep -i punch
   Punch/Hole Punch: *None PL PR PU PB
   Option3/Puncher Unit: *True False

Yet, OpenOffice's dialog still shows the "Puncher Unit" as "Not
Installed".  Do I have to edit the PPD for this ?

Help, please !
-- Pat