print job: document with 8 Screenshots: cups server is processing and printer is not printing

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Thu Jun 3 04:28:06 PDT 2004

greifenwald wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My config: a linux client (cups client), a windows client (win-ipp) and a linux server with cups-server (redhat 9). my printer is a hp5500dn (96 MB)(color-laserjet) which is attached by jetdirect to the network. the printer is connected to my cups-server via ipp (socket://pinter:9100).
>
> Printing is working fine from linux client and from windows client.
> Normal documents, documents with only one screenshot in it...)
>
> But if I print a large document with 8 Screenshots in it, the cups server is "processing" and I can not wait until it prints. After 30 minutes I canceled the job. Tested from windows and from linux client.
>
> Does anybody knows how I can solve this problem?

I don't have a direct solution to your problem but some hints.
Looking at the description at linuxprinting.org reveals that this
printer is a
native PostScript (language level 3) printer, so you DO NOT NEED any of
the
Foomatic or hpijs stuff to use it - simply feed PostScript into it.
And I'd highly recomment to use the PPD provided by HP, as this PPD
provides
(by a special job patch file, which is supported by CUPS) a special CRD
(color rendering dictionary) tailored for just this printer and a
special
procedure that modifies the processing of image interpolation.

As you didn't tell details on your configuration, this is only a guess,
but maybe
it helps.

In addition, I'd check if your 30 minutes are "burned" by your CUPS
system or by
the printer itself.

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de