hide a queue. Users shouldn't see all queues in OO, kprinter, etc.

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat May 22 11:57:08 PDT 2004

ekkard gerlach wrote:
> How can I hide printer queues that users shoudn't see.
> e.g. raw-queues that might confuse normal users.
>
> Users working with OpenOffice, kprinter, etc. normally
> see all printer queues. How can i hide some of the queues?

For kprinter you can make only a selection of CUPS printers
visible.

1. Click on "System Options..."

2. Click on "Filter" (left hand column)

3. Select from complete printer list (left panel) all
   printers you'd like to see  (hold [CTRL] key to make
   multiple selections) and click [->] button.

4. Confirm with [OK].

Alternatively or additionally, you can also use a regular
expression which should match the selection of printers:

3a. Make sure a text input field called "Location filter"
    is visible at lower end of dialog. (Resize dialog in
    lower vertical direction if it is not)

4a. Assuming you have filled into the "Location" field
    the department names "finance department", "customer
    service dept." and "marketing", to associate certain
    printers with these departments. Now you could fill
    in the regex "*in*" to make visible all printers from
    the "marketing" and finance" departments to that user

Of course, for the full power of that regex method you should
make intelligent usage of "Location" field contents in the
first place.

What you set in the GUI for the printerlist "filter" options
ends up as an entry in the respective user's

   $HOME/.kde*/share/config/kprinterrc

file. So you could also manually edit that file for each
user and use KDE's "kiosk" mode to make it immutable. Or
teach each user how to do it herself and leave her the liberty
to adapt it to her own needs.

> thx
> Ekkard

Cheers,