options on server and instances

james_hurford at yahoo.co.uk james_hurford at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 10 06:31:20 PDT 2004

Hello,

I am setting up a CUPS server to replace our lp print server and I cannot find answers to the following questions in the documentation.

1)  I would like to script the setting up of the printers.  I have a script to create them but I cannot seem to change the configuration of a printer. If I try the lpoptions command to change the deafult media size to  A4 this is not reflected when I look at the printer through the web front end.

Should I be using lpadmin and if so how ?

2) In the users documentation it mentions setting up instances for different options for printers.  I cannot find in this mentioned in the administrator manual.

How do you set up printer instances (preferably from a script or command line) ?