Migrating from LPRng to cups: Controlling printer queue from samba client

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Mon May 10 01:36:19 PDT 2004

I'm trying to migrate a rh9 samba server
into rhel3.

On the rh9 machine, I have used the LPRng
printing system, this is not available
on rhel3.

For some of the printers, I need to set it
up so that some of the windows users can control
the printer (cancel other user's jobs, etc.).

On rh9, I've set:

[printername]
     printer admin = root, @lpadmin, @printername

and in /etc/lpd.perms:

ACCEPT SERVICE=C SERVER PRINTER=printername REMOTEGROUP=printername
ACCEPT SERVICE=M SERVER PRINTER=printername REMOTEGROUP=printername
ACCEPT SERVICE=X SERVER PRINTER=printername

The users who should administrative privileges on this
printer are then added to the "printername" group in
/etc/group

How can I grant specific groups administrative
privileges for specific printers in the
/etc/cupsd.conf file?

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk