[cups.general] GPL GhostScript 8.15

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Oct 21 10:40:25 PDT 2004

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Oi,
>
> it would be nice if ESP GhostScript could be updated to the code base of
> GPL GhostScript 8.15. The current ESP GhostScript is based on GNU
> GhostScript 7.07 and between 7.07 and 8.15 happened a lot of development
> and many bugs got fixed. Most important improvement is rendering and
> displaying PDF files. Many of them lead ESP GhostScript to stop with
> rendering errors or even to segfault. Here are the appropriate STRs:
>
> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L975
> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L844
> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L823
> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L736
> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L692
> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L635
> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L278
>
> All these problems are fixed by GPL GhostScript 8.15.
>
> Can someone do this update?

You have commit access to espgs, same as most of the Linux distributors.
I personally won't be able to get to this for at least a few months,
as my CUPS 1.2 work has precedence right now.

> to 7.05 and/or from 7.05 to 7.07. Mike, did you do this? Or someone else?

What I did was take the new ESP GS, make sure that the CUPS patches
were applied, and integrated the configure script stuff we did into
the new GPL version.  Then the hoard of Linux patches and GPL drivers
were added by you guys.

> Or can someone give me some kind of HOWTO for this switchover, so that I
> can do it without breaking a lot.

The easiest thing to do is start with a fresh GPL Ghostscript
distribution, add the pstoraster directory, and apply the patch
for gs 8.11.

You'll need to make changes to the configure.ac and Makefile.in
files to add any Mandrake fixes and drivers, of course, and then
there are some CUPS things that might need to be added (though
the current GS build system should grab them from the cups.mak
file...)