[cups.general] GPL GhostScript 8.15

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Thu Oct 21 10:41:58 PDT 2004

Oi,

it would be nice if ESP GhostScript could be updated to the code base of
GPL GhostScript 8.15. The current ESP GhostScript is based on GNU
GhostScript 7.07 and between 7.07 and 8.15 happened a lot of development
and many bugs got fixed. Most important improvement is rendering and
displaying PDF files. Many of them lead ESP GhostScript to stop with
rendering errors or even to segfault. Here are the appropriate STRs:

http://www.cups.org/str.php?L975
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L844
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L823
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L736
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L692
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L635
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L278

All these problems are fixed by GPL GhostScript 8.15.

Can someone do this update?

As I have write access to the CVS of ESP GhostScript, I thought already
about doing it by myself, but there were a lot of changes done on the
old GhostScript, not only my addition of all the printer drivers. And I
have never changed the underlying GhostScript version. So it would be
best if someone would do the update sho has already switched from 6.5x
to 7.05 and/or from 7.05 to 7.07. Mike, did you do this? Or someone else?

Or can someone give me some kind of HOWTO for this switchover, so that I
can do it without breaking a lot.

The PDF problem is a real problem for us here at Mandrakesoft, as users
complain that they cannot display PDF files, especially those generated
by OpenOffice.org via "File" -> "Export to PDF".

Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

    Till