large jobs on slow printer loop forever

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Tue Sep 7 04:12:54 PDT 2004

Rainer Hubovsky wrote:

> Thank you for your reply, Helge. To be honest, I have no idea how to "strace
> the lpd backend". Could you point me in the right direction?
As for strace, see the man page for the options. As for the lpd backend,
create a link to the lpd backend the name of which is exactly the
device-uri
(as the lpd backend gets the device-uri from argv[0], and you can hardly
fake this from the shell), and supply the command line options
(job-id, username, title-string, number-of-copies, option-string (may be
""),
and the path of the (a) file to print.

> BTW: is there a way of testing all this without actually printing the jobs,
> because we would waste a lot of paper.
For a test like the one above, switch off the printer when you have
enough
information from strace.

--
Helge Blischke